Sheriff Offers Crime Safety Tips
Tuesday, October 10, 2006
October is Crime Prevention Month and Sheriff Mike Neustrom joins the National Crime Prevention Council in promoting the message to citizens that it takes a concerted effort of citizens, law enforcement, the business community, faith based groups and all levels of government to prevent crime. Sheriff Neustrom states “Citizen involvement and partnership with local law enforcement are the essential elements to deter crime."
Community policing has also played an important role in the lower crime rate, and citizen involvement has been crucial to that end.
Sheriff Neustrom urges all Lafayette Parish citizens to get involved in crime prevention. Our homes and communities are safer as a result of the combined efforts of prevention and community policing. Sheriff Neustrom says “ keep some of these safety tips in mind year round to keep you and your family safe."
· Sponsor a Neighborhood Watch
· Be sure the outside of your home or business has strong deadbolt locks.
· Illuminate places an intruder might hide: the spaces between trees or shrubbery, stairwells, alleys, hallways, and entryways.
· Keep your bike, lawn equipment and sports equipment locked up when not in use.
· Always be aware of your surroundings; never let a stranger invade your personal space.
· Call Police when in doubt about any unusual circumstances.
Lt. Craig Stansbury
Public Information Officer
Lafayette Parish Sheriff's Office