Home : Community : Victim Services
Over the past several decades, society has come to realize that the treatment that victims receive in the aftermath of a crime can have a tremendous impact on their ability to recover both physically and emotionally. In response to this, the majority of states have passed legislation granting specific rights to victims of certain crimes.
In an effort to protect the rights of victims, Sheriff Mark T. Garber and the Lafayette Parish Sheriff's Office provides victim assistance through the Victim Services Program. In accordance with Louisiana law, people who are the victims of the following crimes or the attempt of any of the following crimes may be eligible to register as a victim with the State of Louisiana:
Victim Services Brochure
1. Any Homicide
- 1st Degree Murder
- 2nd Degree Murder
- Negligent Homicide
- Vehicular Homicide
(In cases where the victim is deceased or is a minor under 18 years of age, a parent/guardian or family member may register for the victim).
2. Any Felony Offense (including attempts to commit any of them) defined in R.S. 14:2(13)
- Solicitation for Murder
- 1st degree murder
- 2nd degree murder
- Aggravated battery
- 2nd degree battery
- Aggravated assault on a peace officer with a firearm
- Mingling harmful substances
- Aggravated rape
- Forcible rape
- Simple rape
- Sexual battery
- Aggravated sexual battery
- Oral sexual battery
- Aggravated oral sexual battery
- Intentional exposure to AIDS virus
- Aggravated kidnapping
- 2nd degree kidnapping
- Simple kidnapping
- Aggravated arson
- Aggravated criminal damage to property
- Aggravated burglary
- Armed robbery
- 1st degree robbery
- Simple robbery
- Purse snatching
- Assault by drive-by shooting
- Aggravated crime against nature
- Illegal use of weapons or dangerous instruments
Back to Top
3. Any Sexual Offense
4. Vehicular Negligent Injuring
- 1st Degree Vehicular Negligent Injuring
- Services Provided by the Lafayette Parish Sheriff's Office Victim Services Program
- Ensuring victims receive prompt emergency, social, and medical services
- Distributing the Victim Notice and Registration Form to victims who are eligible for registration
- Providing private settings for the interviewing of victims
- Notifying properly registered victims of the release of those accused or convicted from custody
5. Domestic Offenses:
Any offense against the person as defined in the Criminal Code committed against a family or household member as defined in R.S. 46:2132(4) or dating partner as defined in R.S. 46:2151(B)
Domestic Abuse Battery
Abuse/Neglect of Adults
Louisiana Automated Victims Notification System
- Informing employers that victim cooperation in investigations may require them to miss work.
- Maintaining the confidentiality of all victims.
- Referring victims to social service agencies for counseling and financial services.
- Working with the proper authorities to ensure any stolen or other personal property is returned to victims or their families when it is no longer needed as evidence.
These services are provided at no cost as a public service by the Lafayette Parish Sheriff's Office with assistance from a Crime Victims Assistance grant through the Louisiana Commission on Law Enforcement.
As an additional service, we have included a Victim Services Packet below that can be downloaded or printed to assist you, a friend, or family member. If you have any questions about our services please contact us at 337-232-9211 or email Amy Daigle at Amy.Daigle@lafayettesheriff.com .
Back to Top