Home : Community : Community Outreach
Providing Public Service Help
Making a Community Service Request
Sheriff Mark Garber and LPSO are committed to helping the communities they serve by supporting charitable activities, organizations and events that make a positive contribution to the overall well-being of Lafayette Parish. While we will consider any worthwhile qualified 501(c)(3) organization, community program and /or sponsorship, we are focused on the following areas of support:1. Public safety, crime prevention
2. Helping youth
3. Services to special populations such as the needy, homeless and elderly
With limited resources, we tend to approve the request and sponsorship opportunities that best fit our public safety mission.
How We Can Help
The Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office does not make cash contributions. All charitable contributions or co-promotional partnerships are in-kind. Here are some of the ways that we have helped local groups:
· Public Service Work Crews. Inmate Work Crews provide thousands of hours of labor from trash pickup and furniture moving to more skilled activities such as small scale construction, painting and landscaping. We can also provide labor to help setup and tear down an event.
· Contract Work Crews. Inmate Work Crews can also be contracted to provide scheduled ongoing green space maintenance and clean up for qualified governmental agencies and non-profits at affordable rates.
· Use of Facilities. LPSO has several classrooms and meeting rooms that can be used by the public for a variety of uses. When completed in late 2013, the new Willow Street Public Safety Complex will have more than 10,000 square feet of classroom and meeting rooms that are available for public use when available.
· Static or Manned Displays. Requests can be made for LPSO participation in events with static or manned informational and/or equipment displays. Types of information distributed at events includes public safety and crime prevention tips, child safety seat use, fingerprinting for children and providing general law enforcement information to the general public.
The Lafayette Parish Sheriff's Office understands the importance of reaching out to the community that it serves. Community Corrections is more than incarceration. It provides offenders with an opportunity to change through public service. If you have a community project that needs assistance or other community service request of the Lafayette Parish Sheriff's Office contact John Mowell at 337-319-4780 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lafayette Parish Correctional Center Facility Tours
Anyone is welcome to visit our facilities. If your group or organization would like to visit the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center located in downtown Lafayette, call Julio Naudin at 337-236-5640 or email at Julio.email@example.com
Want to learn more about the Sheriff's Office and what Community Corrections is doing in your community? Schedule a speaker to come out and talk to your group or organization. Contact John Mowell, PIO at 337-319-4780 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org